Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Admitting Defeat

I have admitted defeat and decided that Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind is a "did not finish" book.

I'm really very sad about this, because I really, really, really wanted to love this book. I don't hate it. But after a little over 300 pages (out of 700) I just don't find myself inspired to keep reading.

I love Pat Rothfuss's blog and he sounds like a cool guy. He also clearly has a great passion for his books. I wanted to share that passion and love his book too, so I find myself very sad that that didn't happen.

It's the second time I've tried to read the book and the second time I've crashed out. All the same, I don't think it is a bad book, but it just isn't working for me.

I kind of like Kvothe - I think I could like him a lot - but he just keeps ticking off petty and mean-spirited people and so while reading I spend my time constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop and not enjoying that.

Also, I think the short chapters are working against me as I keep having places to stop. And since it is easier to stop than keep reading at the moment, that's what I'm doing. I haven't touched the book for a few days and I'm not fussed to get back to it, which I'm going to take as an indication it is time to give up.

This is definitely one of those breakups where it's a case of "it's me, not you" and I'm sorry about it. But we're just not working out together, The Name of the Wind and I.

No comments: