Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I Just Finished Reading... The Bone Doll's Twin

...The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling.

The first title in a new fantasy series introduces the kingdom of Skala, where an usurper king claimed his young half-sister's throne. To be born female into the royal line had become a death sentence. But as the king's nephew, his sister's only child, grows into manhood, it is unknown to both that the boy is actually the princess's daughter, given male form by a dark magic to protect her until she can claim her rightful destiny.
It started with a bang and I was really enjoyed it, then with about 150 pages to go, I started to slow down. It's not that there was anything wrong with it - quite the contrary in fact - but I found it harder to read.

I think it was my old issue of danger to charcters I care about slowing me down. Suddenly, Tobin is heading off to the dangers and politics of court without any adults to guide him and I find myself not wanting to keep reading.

I'm very glad I did, as it stayed an excellent story right through to the end. I now want to know what happens next, but I'm glad I'm going to be reading something else first, before going on to book two as it's hard work worrying about Tobin et al and I'm glad for a break.

I'm about to start The Children of the Company by Kage Baker, so at least I have different characters to worry about, even if I'm still going to worry.

Thanks to a lovely friend, I now have all the Kage Baker books to get me through to the one that has just been published in the last few days in the States, which concludes the series. Of course, then I have to wait to get my greedy little paws on a copy, but I succumbed and pre-ordered it for myself to go with an order of books from Amazon.com which should ship very soon. It'll still take a decent while for me to get them, but at least I'll get the end of the story.

No comments: