Friday, February 15, 2008

Pride and Prescience - Carrie Bebris

Mr. & Mrs. Darcy, the joyous newlyweds from Pride and Prejudice, have not even left for their honeymoon when they find themselves embroiled in a mystery involving one of their wedding guests. The lovely Caroline Bingley is engaged to marry a rich and charismatic American. Unfortunately this windswept courtship is marred by many strange events such as nocturnal wanderings, spooked horses, carriage accidents, and atypical incidents of mortal consequence. Soon the whole Bingley family seems the target of a sinister plot, with only the Darcys recognizing the danger.

blurb from www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
I got about half way through this before giving up because I wasn't enjoying it. The characterisation of Elizabeth and Darcy starts off okay, but as the story takes a turn into the supernatural, so does the characterisation, especially of Elizabeth who takes this all in her stride, begins to fail. To me, the supernatural doesn't belong with these characters and the story soon failed for me. I skipped to the end, but didn't really care.

Pride and Prescience, Or a Truth Universally Acknowledged
Mr and Mrs Darcy Mysteries, Book 1
Carrie Bebris
DNF

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Sorry you didn't like it - I really enjoyed it! I agree that the supernatural story is a little unusual but I still thought it was good :) I think the third one has a more down to earth mystery, but I don't suppose you'll want to try it if you didn't enjoy the first :)