Monday, May 21, 2007

Darn It! I Did it Again!

I'm currently reading "Queen of the Darkness" by Anne Bishop.

Okay, let me claify that.  I'm currently loving "Queen of the Darkness".

I've just finished Part 1.  And I tried.  Really, I did.  I tried my hardest.

But I can see that things are going to go bad from here.  Things are probably going to go really bad.  And while I have faith in the author, the story and the characters, I'm still very worried about them.

(Remember, I'm the person who still hasn't finished "Ship of Destiny" because I can't face the bad stuff to get to the satisfactory conclusion.)

So I read the last couple of pages.

I know I shouldn't have.  But I did.

I'm a terrible end reader.  Each book I swear I won't do it this time, but often I do.  Because I get so worried about the characters I have to sneak ahead to check on them.

If I'm lucky, the main story has been wound up by then and I get a sneak peek that people are okay and alive but I haven't spoiled myself to the main story.  (Sometimes I'm not so lucky and I do spoil myself.)

Fortunately, this time I can relax a bit and get on with the main tale.  But tomorrow I think.  If I start part 2 tonight, I suspect I'll just keep reading.  And since I have a sick child (I suspect chickenpox but need to wait until tomorrow to see if the blisters have started to crust over to confirm it - picture of the poor child here) I will need all the sleep I can get to cope with tomorrow.

Do other people have this problem or am I just weird and it's just me?

4 comments:

Marg said...

I always read the end...but I don't get worried about the characters!

Nicki said...

LOL! It is one of those series. I can understand! :)

Dede said...

The Black Jewels Trilogy is excellent! I must be a dark person since I get the most interested when things start going bad. I just have to keep reading because I know things will just have to get better. Yeah, and I still think Ned (from A Game of Thrones) is really just in the dungeon. How far are you into Ship of Destiny? I absolutely loved that series and thought the ending was fantastic.

Also hoping that Marcus starts feeling better and you are able to get some rest while he is home.

Mel in Dubai said...

Ah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this - lol!

I love this Trilogy! I'm currently halfway through Book 2 Heir to the Shadows after devouring the first book in less than a week. I've had these books since last summer and I am wondering why I left it so long to start reading them :)

Oh, and I must confess to digging out Queen of Darkness and flicking through to the last page a couple of days ago - lol! Now I can happily go back and read how it ended up that way :)