Saturday, March 22, 2008

Drive By Comments on February Books, Part 1

I'm so far behind with my book "reviews" that instead of trying to do a long one for each, I'm just going to offer some quick comments.

First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde
Thursday Next, Book 5; 10/10

Thursday Next is back after 14 years (her time, not ours). She and Landen are happily married with three (or is it two) children and it's time for son Friday to join the Chronoguard. However, he seems more interested in being a typical teenager. I loved this latest outing with Thursday and all ther various secondary characters. It was crazy, it was silly, it was clever and everything a Thursday Next book should be. Goliath are up to their old tricks, Mycroft's ghost is haunting the garage (although sadly Mycroft has left us in the intervening years) and Thursday is trying to deal with two versions of herself in the Bookworld, neither of which bears any particular resemblance to her. Wonderful, wonderful fun.

Enchanting the Lady - Kathryne Kennedy
DNF

This was a paranormal romance with a good idea - a nobility that is tested for magical talent in order to retain position and shapeshifters - but it simply failed. There was no depth, like a pretty illusion on top of a fundamentally flawed underlying structure. I'm sorry I wasted my time.

The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley
Damar, Book 1; 10/10

Having had two DNFs that were holiday reading, I found myself in something of a bind as I'd used by the books I'd brought with me. I looked through what I had on my PDA and decided to reread The Blue Sword. I loved this delightful coming-of-age tale in the times I've read it before and I loved it all over again this time. I'm so glad this is what I picked. I've always loved Harry Crewe and joining her journey as she discovers the Hill blood she carries and finds her way in a foreign culture that feels so right was wonderful. This book has recently been rereleased in both print and ebook format; if you've never read it go out and find a copy now!

Mine to Possess - Nalini Singh
Psy/Changeling, Book 4; 9/10

Another great entry in this wonderful series by Nalini Singh. After having three Psy/Changeling pairs in the previous book, this time the heroine is human, finally adding the last of the three races in this universe to the mix. Also different from the previous books, this time the hero and heroine have a history that completely colours their interactions now they have met up again. Subplots concerning the continuing disintergration of Psy society also continue making this a stronger, deeper story than if it focused solely on the couple. Singh manages a beautiful balance between the fantsy plot and the romanace development where neither overshadows the other, making this book and the others in the series a delight to read.

No comments: