Thursday, April 12, 2007

Matrimony with His Majesty by Rebecca Winters

Title: Matrimony with His Majesty
Author: Rebecca Winters
Published: May 2002
Grade: 7/10

First Line:
"Since the last two major college riots, we have to take what happened today seriously, Alex. I'm urging you to move yourself and your loved ones to one of your residences in the mountains away from the public where you're not so vulnerable."

Why I Chose this Book:
It came through my RSS feeds as a new release from Fictionwise.com. I hate to admit that royalty stories tend to catch my attention. This one sounded like it might be okay and I bought it and downloaded it.

Blurb:
Darrell Collier is an ordinary, small-town single mom. And when Alexandre Valleder sweeps into her life, she's determined not to be pressured into marriage by royal command!

Alex is a good ruler and a responsible king. But one secret night, years ago, he rebelled a little. The result, as he's just discovered, was a child. Now he has to make things right. It will shock his family and shake up the monarchy. But first he must persuade this beautiful, stubborn commoner she has the makings of a queen!

My Comments:
This was a light, but pleasant and delightful little story. It was perfect for my mood of the moment, where I'm very low on energy and need a break from my more complicated current read.

Everyone is a little too perfect - the 12 year old with a chip on his shoulder about not knowing his father gets over it and adores Alex much too quickly for example - but I went into this for an escapist fantasty and that's exactly what I got.

Alex is heroic and noble and perfect and Darrel spends all her time tryig to do what is best for everyone else, but again, they fit perfectly in this lovely little tale.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm a sucker for royalty stories. I like the fantasy of it (the reality I suspect can be pretty awful) and that's a lot of what got me to pick this one up. I'm glad I did. It was exactly what I needed at the time and I'm going to read and enjoy some more Rebecca Winters books I'm sure.

No comments: