Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Favorite Earthling by Susan Grant

Title: My Favorite Earthling
Author: Susan Grant
Published: March 2007
Grade: 6/10

Series: Jasper Family, Book 2

First Line:
CALIFORNIA POLITICAN AND ALIEN LOVER SAVE THE WORLD

Why I Chose this Book:
I've been a Susan Grant fan since I read Contact and then started looking for her backlist. I thoroughly enjoyed the series that began with The Star King and I've kept getting her books ever since. This series is much lighter in tone and while I enjoyed the first book and plan to keep reading, I don't think these books have as much to offer.

Blurb:
Keira, warrior-queen of the galaxy, is as famous for her beauty as she is for avoiding marriage. But when an upstart little planet called Earth threatens her world with its fleet of spaceships, the fate of her people lies in her hands. She must bind herself to a barbarian from the rogue world--or face the destruction of her own!

Confirmed bachelor Jared Jasper knows that the trick Earth pulls on the alien invaders isn't a permanent solution. What they need is a peace treaty. It just never occurs to him that he will wind up on the bargaining table. Playing the pushover groom to a mouthy alien babe who knows how to use a plasma sword is not exactly his idea of fun. But with six billion people depending on him, he doesn't have much choice--sleep with the enemy...or bring on interstellar war.

My Comments:
A pleasant enough story, but this isn't one of Grant's best. It's a light romp, and I assume it was always meant to be, so in that way it succeeds nicely.

Jared is a nice character, Keira is okay, but we never really get to know either of them all that well - and they don't even meet until half the book is over.

I really enjoyed myself while reading this - and it was perfect for the mood I've been in lately - so I don't want to sound like I'm completely knocking this book. It's a pleasant, light read and if that's what you're in the mood for, it'll be idea. If you're wanting more than that, look for something else.

No comments: