Friday, April 27, 2007

When Darkness Comes by Alexandra Ivy

Title: When Darkness Comes
Author: Alexandra Ivy
Published: January 2007
Grade: 5/10

Series: Guardians of Eternity, Book 1

First Line:
"Oh god, Abby. Don't panic. Just...don't...panic."

Why I Chose this Book:
This was one I saw in the Barbara's Books catalogue and thought looked interesting. However, I just wasn't sure about it, so didn't preorder it. Since I was given some book vouchers for my birthday, I decided to use them on a couple of books that were in my "looks interesting but I'm just not quite sure" category. This was one of the two I chose.

Blurb:
It's been a hell of a day for Abby Barlow. In just a few hours, she's survived an explosion, watched her employer die, had a startling dream, and now she finds herself in a seedy Chicago hotel with the sexy, unearthly Dante, a man she both desires and fears.

For 341 years, Dante has stood as guardian to The Chalice, a mortal woman chosen to hold back the darkness. A terrible twist of fate has now made Abby that woman. Three hours ago, Dante would have used all his charms to seduce her. Now she is his to protect. And he will do so until his very death.

A terrifying plan has been set in motion, one that will plunge Dante and Abby into an epic battle between good and evil—and a desperate race to save their love...

My Comments:
This was a very strange book. It should have had everything to make it great - an interesting and almost new idea, a decent heroine and vampire hero, and some quick and sassay dialogue. The thing is, it totally failed to work. It failed for me and also for a friend I spoke to about it, so I know it wasn't me alone.

When I was reading it it felt like an okay read, but when I put it down, I really didn't care if I picked it up again. I finished it more out of determination than any great need to finish the story.

However, I have no idea why it failed. There was nothing I could put my finger on. It just did. Which makes this review pretty much useful and unhelpful, but I'm afraid I can't me any clearer. I also don't feel the need to waste any more time on it trying to figure out the why of its failure.

No comments: