Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sigh, I’m so weak

Those bastards nice people over at Fictionwise.com just sent me an email.  If it had been a conversation, it would have gone something like this.

“We’re having a sale,” they told me happily.

“Oh no,” I cringed, but kept reading

“Buy anything and we’ll give you a 60% rebate”, they promised me.

“Oh no,” I thought again.  “They shouldn’t be doing this when I actually have some money in my PayPal account.”  But, weak-willed individual that I am, I went and looked at my wishlist.

I’m sure you don’t need to ask, but in case you feel you do, yes of course I bought books.  I bought the next ones in some series I’m reading and a couple of others that I’ve wanted by not been able to justify buying.

I ended up spending (gulp) $50.09, but they gave me $32.54 of it back to spend on more books.  I know it’s a con, because they still got my money and I have to spend that $32.54 with them, but I’m going to fall for it every time.

So what did I buy?

  • Childe Morgan by Katherine Kurtz (This is the latest Deryni book and I read it from the library, meaning I’d never got around to buying my own copy.)
  • Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint (The next Newford book; I finished the one before it today, so I was ready to get the next one.)
  • The Ivory and the Horn by Charles de Lint (The Newford book after that one; why get one when you can get two?)
  • Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian (I liked the first in the series, so grabbed book 2.)
  • Tanner’s Scheme by Lora Leigh (One of the Breed books I’m missing for my ongoing read through the series.)
  • Dawn’s Awakening by Lora Leigh (Another one of the Breed books I’m missing.)
  • Odd Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (One of the few books of hers that I’m missing; I tried reading it from the library last year and gave up, but after reading another of her books, want to try it again.)

I am so not adding any of these to the TBR list right at the moment.  That would totally stress me out.  Let me get over my crazy shopping first.

I tell myself that I don’t impulse buy – or buy at all if I can avoid it – with clothes or shoes or drugs or alcohol and books are a healthy addiction.  Do you think Dave will believe me when he reads this?

3 comments:

Dorte H said...

What a great post! - Weakness, that is me, when it comes to buying books, especially crime fiction. I buy most of then second-hand, though, which helps a lot.

Anonymous said...

I had set a goal to not spend any money on books if I can help it and have already slipped. Hallmark is the store that gives me money back to spend more and I am hopelessly addicted. I think I'll avoid this Fictionwise place you speak of. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Heh - I got an amazon.com credit card and then started my Masters Program, which I pay for with that credit card. So I've gotten a lot of books (and DVDs) thanks to the gift certificates I get. Just paid my last big college bill (will have 2 or 3 more, but they'll be for 1 or 2 credit hours only) and got $50 worth. I was proud of myself that I only went $5 over in ordering lots of books. :-)