Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekly Geeks 2009-02

For our second Weekly Geeks of the new year and our second post without our founder Dewey, Joanne of The Book Zombie has these questions:

For those who have been with the group, either from the start or joined within recent months, what does being a member mean to you? What do you enjoy about the group? What are some of your more memorable Weekly Geeks that we might could do again? What could be improved as we continue the legacy that Dewey gave us?

For those just joining us, why did you sign up for Weekly Geeks? What would you like to see here?

I started with Weekly Geeks right at the beginning, although I didn’t participate each week.  Sometimes the challenge felt too hard or I wasn’t feeling particularly well that week, so I let it slide (having since learned how ill Dewey was while she not only participated by came up with WG each week just makes me admire her all the more).

I particularly like the opportunity to explore the book-related activities of all the huge variety of people who participate.  I know I read in a relatively small, genre-related area, and in all honesty, I’m perfectly happy with that and don’t feel the need to change.  All the same, even if I don’t necessarily actually want to read other kinds of books, I love reading about them, which makes community challenges like Weekly Geeks absolutely perfect.  I get to learn about different kinds of people and different kinds of books, all from the comfort of my computer chair.

I think one of my favourite Weekly Geeks was the one where everyone took photos of their books/reading area/etc and shared them with all the other participants.  Unfortunately, that’s not necessarily one that would work as a regular repeat as while the contents of my shelves and TBR might have changed, they still pretty much look the same.

Another one I loved was our favourite childhood books, and that would probably work fine as a repeat.  I know I could come up with some other favourites that I didn’t include last time, especially if I went back and reread everyone else’s posts, as I know I was reminded of other books I’d forgotten.

I’m terribly grateful to everyone who has taken up Dewey’s mantle and all I ask is that you keep WG going, as it is a great community builder and a great way to learn about our fellow reading-addicts out in the blogsphere.

7 comments:

Kerrie said...

I agree that the most important part of Weekly Geeks is the sense of community. The activities just stimulate the discussion and encourage us to visit each other's blogs

Dorte H said...

Hi Kerry.

Oh, we really must keep in touch! I also suffer from CFS - and blogging + commenting is one of the things I do when I cannot really concentrate on anything else.
Nice to meet you, and a warm, sympathetic hug all the way from Denmark.

Alessandra said...

I remember I loved the favourite childhood books activity too. It was the first time I participated to WG!

Louise said...

I think that your blog is one of those great blogs that I have "found" through WG.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

The pictures of the reading area was the first one I played part in.

Becky said...

I know what you mean. I like reading reviews of all sorts of books even if I'm not particularly interested in seeking them out and reading them myself.

The Bookworm said...

WG was a great way to meet other bloggers :)
"I get to learn about different kinds of people and different kinds of books, all from the comfort of my computer chair." well said!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/